Saturday, August 8, 2026

field note 001 | what i wear to hike as a plus size girly

 


field note 001

I challenged myself to find a hobby that would get me moving, and I'd say I chose hiking, but honestly, hiking chose me.

Like any new hobby, I recommend starting small. You don't need to spend a ton of money or have the "perfect" hiking wardrobe to get started. What you wear on a hike doesn't have to be glamorous or trendy.




For me, hiking clothes have to do two things: 

1. let me move freely

2. keep me comfortable


01- the shoes. 


To me, these are the most important.. more than clothes. Good shoes are non negotiable.

Since I was new to the hiking scene, it was really important to me to do my research before getting my first pair. I wanted something that would give me support, have good traction, and most importantly feel comfortable enough to enjoy the hike.

I settled on Merrell Women's Accentor 3. The first thing I noticed was how comfortable they were. I didn't have to spend the entire hike thinking about my feet. I also noticed the traction right away. Whether I was walking over rocks or even terrain, I felt like I had a good grip. I'm still figuring out how they hold up in different weather conditions, so I can't really say whether they're waterproof.

Overall, for my first pair of hiking shoes, I'm happy with my choice.

02- the base 

The base layer is where I prioritize comfort and movement.

I don't want anything digging, riding up while I'm walking, or making me feel like I have to constantly adjust my clothes.

I usually shop at Old Navy. I found that they have a good variety of activewear in extended sizes, which is important to me when I'm looking for pieces.

I typically go for leggings, a sports bra, and tank tops/shirts.


Here's what I am wearing powersoft full zip jackethigh waisted leggings, and racerback sport bra.


03- the layers

If there's one thing I learned about hiking, it's that the weather can change fast.

Instead of wearing one heavy piece, I like having a few lighter layers that I can add or remove depending on how I'm feeling.


For outerwear, my favorite jacket at the moment is the Castle Dale Full Zip Fleece. It's so soft and lightweight, making it perfect for chilly weather without it being too bulky. I also love my Switchback IV Jacket. It's super thin and lightweight, so it folds up easily and fits right into my bag. I have it handy for those unexpected light rain showers. The only downside is that it's better for light rain rather than heavy rain, so I wouldn't rely on it for heavy rain.


My hike combo is:

base layer -> mid layer -> outer layer

That way I can start warm, take something off once I get moving and put it back on when I need it.

That's pretty much it! I wanted to share what I personally wear and what has been working for me as a plus-size hiker. I know starting something new can feel a bit intimidating, especially when you don't always see people who look like you represented in that space. 

Happy Hiking!! :)

xoxo Peg.





1 comment: